Thursday, October 15, 2009

It all began with a prenatal check-up...

After finding out that I was indeed pregnant for the 3rd time (surprise!!!) I started to look around for a family doctor to do my prenatal checkup because my doctor at the time was on maternity leave herself and I knew I couldn't wait for her to return to work...so the search was on...I eventually heard that there were openings at a clinic but the doctor was a male....AHHHHHHHHHH...I haven't had a male doctor since I was a child and definitely not since I needed to get my "girly" issues taken care of. But since this doctor could take on my whole family I was willing to suck up my pride and give him a chance.

I went in for a meet and greet and he was awesome and I was comfortable with him right away...that was a huge relief! Now onto the baby checkups...I scheduled another appointment to come back and do a physical along with my first prenatal checkup. Everything went great at the appointment until he checked my thyroid (which for the record I don't ever remembering any other doctor checking this) and noticed something that he called a "fullness". Hmmmmm....

I didn't think anything of it because what could it possibly be right? So, he wanted me to go for an ultrasound of my neck and of course, me being me, decided that it wasn't that big of a deal so it could wait. My doctor then called me a couple weeks later to follow up about the lack of ultrasound (BUSTED!!) and I then made the appointment like a good girl.

I actually don't really remember the actual ultrasound too much except I kept seeing them measure something and figured, uh oh, that can't be very good! So, again, me being me I went back to my office after the appointment and googled thyroid issues and became VERY acquainted with thyroid cancer. Maybe TOO aquainted. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies but I figured if it was going to be bad news I was going to try and prepare myself for it...
I then got a call from my doctor's office sending me for a biopsy of the lump they found in my thyroid gland...I was a bag of NERVES!! Luckily I had my mother in law there with me to try and keep me calm. It was relatively easy...you just lie there and they stick needles in your neck..whoo hoo eh?

Then I left...and waited...

No comments:

Post a Comment