Good day all you lovely people!
In my last post I mentioned that I still had to follow up with my Dr. in regards to the bloodwork that I had to get done after my stimulated thyroglobulin test (say that 5 times fast) and I truly had every intention of doing so (really I did!!), but his ears must have been ringing (and he knows me too well) because he beat me to it. He really is a great guy but every time I hear his voice on my answering machine it sends a chill down the spine! I keep telling myself that one of these days it will get easier....but I'm still waiting for that to happen.
Of course it was a Friday when he called so it wasn't until after the weekend that he returned my phone call and in the end it's not ALL bad news...what does THAT mean you say?? Well, last year when I did this test my number came back as a 5...Again, what does THAT mean?? It means that the lower your number, the less chance of a recurrence essentially. Last year my number was a 5 also, meaning that whatever is left in there is in sleeper mode (and can remain that way for many many years, but can also change on a dime) He said that a 5 is relatively low so I have a few options. We can either wait it out another year and see what it is then, and if need be deal with it with MRI's and PET scans if it has elevated....or he can run me through a bunch of these scans now and see if anything in me lights up. Now initially when you first hear this it would be an immediate "Let's do the scans and deal with anything that comes up", but the good Doc then went on to tell me that even the most sensitive PET scan most likely won't show anything below a 10! Now, THAT'S a game changer...and something I have to think about and bounce off some people.
So at the end of the day the question is..to scan or not to scan...hmmmmm...obviously he said it was up to me and he was available anytime for me to ask him questions and discuss but I don't know if I should put myself through all that stress right now when it won't necessarily be a very reliable scan because my level isn't high enough...but on the other hand, on the off chance that it would show something, we could deal with it now instead of waiting a year...OH THE INSANITY OF IT ALL!! Thoughts anyone? Cause I would love to hear them!
Although I would have loved for him to call me up and tell me that they didn't detect anything at all, I am comforted in the fact that it hasn't gotten any worse and he is willing to be super extra cautious with me because of the type of Thyroid Cancer I had. There's a silver lining in everything right?
For right now, I feel great and all the energy I have is going to be channelled into moving our family into the new house next month! It's such a great feeling to have something exciting to look forward to!